Do you know what hard water is? Have you noticed your white or grey spots on glassware, streaks on shower screens, or scaling in the kettle, tapware, or showerheads? After taking a shower have you noticed that your skin feels dry and itchy or your hair is dry, brittle, or frizzy? After doing the laundry is your fabric harsh and rough? Does your soap make bubbles and lather up easily? These are some of the symptoms of hard water.
Hard water is a common issue in municipal/town water supplies in many areas of New Zealand. This condition is generally the result of a combination of calcium and magnesium which can happen in geographical areas where there is limestone in the soil.
As a result, there is quite often scale build-up and clogging in plumbing fixtures and water systems which can reduce the efficiency and service life of appliances while leading to higher energy costs. The calcium and magnesium also react with the organic acid in regular soap/detergent meaning more product is required for efficient and effective cleaning.
A proven, cost-effective solution is a Puretec water softener that exchanges calcium and magnesium with sodium to reduce the hardness and thereby reduce the scale from accumulating. This has many benefits, as it not only lengthens the lifespan of your appliances but also makes cleaning easier.
What are the benefits of installing a softening system?
- Your silverware, glassware, mirrors, tiles, or any plumbing fixtures are cleaner and shinier. You get cleaner and softer skin as well as smoother hair. It reduces the soap curd so it makes it easier to clean showers and baths etc.
- You require fewer cleaning products because of the rich lather produced by soap and softened water.
- Fabrics last longer, whites stay whiter and clothes are softer without the hard minerals trapped in the fabric.
- The lifespan of your appliances such as coffee machines, ice makers, dishwashers, heaters, and laundry equipment is lengthened.
- You will save money on monthly energy costs and damaged appliances.
If you are experiencing any of the issues outlined it would be worthwhile finding out the hardness level in your area. A water softener is an affordable, simple, and easy way to improve your quality of life at home at the same time as providing savings in your pocket. Talk to your local Think Water store about testing your water and installing a softening system.